Things to Do & See On the Island
You’ll never run out of things to do in Roatan. Whether your preferences are laid-back, adventurous, romantic, cultural or aquatic, Roatan’s attractions will keep you busy from the moment your feet hit the sand. Relax on one of our island’s breathtaking white sand beaches, soar through the jungle, explore a majestic underwater world, visit with the locals or grill your catch of the day.
Here are some attractions you won’t want to miss:
- Roatan Diving & Snorkeling: Roatan is home to the world’s second largest barrier reef system and is a popular destination for divers. Whether you’re interested in dive sites off West Bay Beach or on the more secluded north side of the island, there are many reputable dive shops on Roatan, including Subway Watersports, Mayan Divers, and Anthony’s Key Resort.
- Swimming With Dolphins: visit AKR to snorkel, swim, dive and encounter naturally curious dolphins. You can also become a trainer for a day, working behind the scenes with the experts at the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences (RIMS) for hands-on interactive sessions to initiate trained behaviours.
- Submarine Tour: don’t have your diving certification? Travel 3,000 feet below sea level in a one-of-a-kind diving submersible with Stanley Submarines. The submersible was designed and custom-built for her exact location in Roatan and can carry up to 3 passengers deep below sea level, with various expeditions that range in depth.
- Fishing: fishing is a popular thing to do in Roatan, and the island hosts an annual fishing tournament every September. Links to some of the island’s fishing charter companies:
- Maya Key: a nice balance between relaxation and culture, enjoy snorkeling, beaches, shopping, cultural exhibits and replicated ruins of Copan on a peaceful 11.5 acre private key. Maya Key is located just three minutes across the bay from the Roatan cruise pier.
- Zip Line Canopy Tour: soar through Roatan’s tropical jungles on the island’s newest and safest zip line. Clip ‘N Zip Canopy Tours is located within a 150 acre nature reserve and offers the unique opportunity to tour the island’s diverse vegetation and tropical wildlife during an adrenaline-pumping ride above and through the trees.
- Carambola Botanical Gardens: offers 30 acres of jungle trails for hiking, wildlife and scenic photography. Check out “Iguana Wall” at the summit of Carambola Mountain, visit the popular “Chocolate Tree” or walk among many varieties of flowering and medicinal plants, exotic spices, and fruit and nut trees. Make sure you bring your camera.
- Roatan Butterfly Garden: guided and self-guided tours through tropical gardens with exotic butterflies and birds. The Butterfly Garden is a fascinating place to visit, located within 5 minutes walk of the main entrance to West End Village.
- Iguana Farm: one of Roatan’s little-known treasures, located along the main paved road in French Key, just past French Harbour (traveling west). Approximately 2,700 iguanas roam freely about the property, and guests can participate in feeding time in the early afternoon. Telephone: 2445-7743.