How to Get Around Roatan & La Ceiba Once You’ve Arrived
The Galaxy Wave is a passenger-only ferry, and we cannot transport cars or vehicles at this time. However, several Roatan transportation options are easily negotiable once you have disembarked from the ferry. Similarly, convenient transportation options are also available in La Ceiba.
If you travel to Roatan from the mainland, taxis are available at the Safe Way Maritime terminal, waiting to meet incoming passengers. The airport is only a 15 minute taxi ride away, and West End is about 45-60 minutes away.
Rental cars and scooters are also available nearby:
- Best Car Rental has offices at the Roatan Ferry terminal and Roatan International Airport and will also soon be in the Royal Caribbean cruise terminal in Coxen Hole.
- Captain Van’s Rentals offers motorcycle, scooter and mountain bike rentals in West End or West Bay.
- Caribbean Rent a Car has two locations, one on the main highway to French Harbour and a second at the Roatan International Airport.
- Roatan Sales and Rentals is located on the island’s West End and rents cars and trucks by the day and week, as well as over a longer term.
- Avis also has an office in Roatan, located at the airport.
La Ceiba Transportation
If you catch the Roatan Ferry to La Ceiba and need to travel to other parts of mainland Honduras, our schedule coordinates well with bus schedules in La Ceiba. The bus station is several minutes away by taxi. From the bus station, you can travel to all major Honduran cities, such as San Pedro Sula, the industrial capital, and Tegucigalpa, the political capital. Buses also provide service from La Ceiba to Copan, a major tourist attraction featuring Mayan Indian ruins, as well as many smaller towns and remote villages on the mainland.
Two types of bus service are available. Most of the buses offer very low fares, but are crowded, do not have air conditioning, and make frequent stops to pick up more passengers along the road. Higher priced buses are more direct and luxurious. Hedman Alas is a major luxury bus line on the Honduras mainland. Cristina is another higher-end bussing option.
Transportation to Utila
If you wish to travel from Roatan to another of the Bay Islands, most island to island traffic goes through La Ceiba. Right next to our terminal in La Ceiba, there is a terminal for the Utila Princess, a ferry which travels from La Ceiba to Utila. Roatan Ferry’s schedule coordinates with the schedule of the Utila Princess for passengers making connections there.