Tours, Activities & Things to Do
There are many things to do in La Ceiba, but the area is especially appealing to eco-travelers and adventurers. Make an overnight trip from Roatan or travel and tour around La Ceiba before you depart to the Bay Islands.
La Ceiba Tours
La Ceiba travel possibilities are seemingly endless, and while some travelers may wish to venture out on their own, others may prefer to explore La Ceiba with a certified tour operator. Most operators offer full and half day trips, as well as multi-day trips.
Main tour operators include:
- Garifuna Tours: eco-adventure tours to National Parks in Tela and La Ceiba, excursions to Cayos Cochinos and Los Micos Lagoon, white water rafting, hiking in Pico Bonito, two-day trips to the Copan Ruins, and more.
- La Moskitia Eco-Aventuras: white water rafting, float trips, jungle hiking, bird watching, boat tours of the wetlands, and more.
- Omega Tours: white water rafting, jungle excursions, horseback riding, kayaking, 4×4, mountain biking, and more.
- Tourist Options: ecological tours of La Ceiba and surrounding regions, such as Pico Bonito National Park, Trujillo, Copan Ruins, canopy tours and hot springs, river hiking or rafting, and more.
Things to Do in La Ceiba
La Ceiba travel attractions range from white water rafting and jungle explorations to wildlife refuge visits and the annual National Carnival. Here are some ideas of tours and things you can do:
- White Water Rafting: raft the rapids of the Cangrejal River for a fast-paced, adrenaline-inducing ride past mountain landscapes and Honduran jungles in class 2, 3 and 4 rapids.
- Pico Bonito National Park: enjoy a strenuous but spectacular hike through primary rainforest and scenic mountain views. There are many waterfalls along the hike, as well as cloudy, tropical rain and dry forests.
- Butterfly & Insect Museum: located on the south side of La Ceiba, this museum houses over 17,000 butterflies, moths and other exotic insects from Honduras and around the world.
- Genetic Bank of Plants, UNAH-CURLA University: browse an area of 31 hectares and enjoy a botanical garden filled with a wide array of seasoning plants and fruit trees, including varieties of mango, avocado, citrus, vanilla, and more.
- Sea Kayaking: kayak in the calm waters of lagoons and mangrove forests near La Ceiba and listen to the sounds of howler monkeys and aquatic birds.
- Cuero y Salado Wildlife Refuge Reserve: travel along aquatic or terrestrial trails through one of the most biologically diverse regions of Honduras. A combination of freshwater wetlands, saltwater marshes and coastline protect species like jaguars, boa constrictors, manatees, ocelots, sloths, and crocodiles.
- Los Chorros: find a series of small waterfalls and natural pools, great for soaking and swimming.
- San Isidro Fair: La Ceiba’s annual National Carnival, held at the end of May. Celebrate with the locals in cultural activities, float parades, dancing, and live music, all ending with the Gran Carnaval de La Amistad (Great Carnival of Friendship).
- Cayos Cochinos: dine on Garifuna cuisine, snorkel, dive, enjoy white sand beaches, and perhaps catch a glimpse of the unusual pink boa. The only way to access this archipelago of 13 islands and cays just off the coast of La Ceiba, designated as a Marine Biological Reserve, is through one of the tour operators.